Coronavirus FAQ's

Posted on: 23 March 2020

Musicians' day to day lives are becoming increasingly difficult


As the number of reported incidents of new Coronavirus infections in the UK continues to increase, the day to day life for all musicians is changing and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to carry on as normal.

We’ve put together some questions that might help during this worrying time:

Can I change the level of cover on my policy?

Yes, you can make changes at any time, free of charge. If you’re not travelling to gigs as much you could opt for premises only or UK only cover instead of worldwide or unattended vehicle cover. Downgrading cover will also reduce your premium, but make sure you’ve got the cover you need. To make any changes to your policy, use our contact form or email us at

I have public liability and personal accident cover on my policy; will this cover me for extra costs I am incurring?

If you’ve taken out our Public Liability cover, this means you’re covered for your legal liability for damage, someone being killed or an injury or illness caused by the use of your equipment. However, this doesn’t cover you if a venue is not allowing you to play.

Under Personal Accident cover, you’d be covered for a loss of limb, loss of sight, loss of hearing, permanent total disability or death due to the use of your musical equipment, so therefore there is no cover if these happened as a result of the Coronavirus.

How can I apply for a payment delay?

If you’re having challenges paying your monthly instalments as a direct result of COVID-19 and wish to explore options for a payment holiday please visit our payment delay information page. 

I need to make a claim but it has gone past the 60 days can I still claim?

Yes, we’ve reviewed our terms and conditions and will be able to relax the 60 days claims period if you have been affected by COVID-19. For more information on this please email us at

Where can I keep up to date with the current situation?

We advise keeping up to date with advice from the UK Government, Public Health Wales, Health Protection Scotland, the Public Health Agency in Northern Ireland, the NHS and the World Health Organisation (WHO). Check advice frequently as its altering on a daily basis.

The NHS have circulated advice about COVID-19 and you should also read the government's guidance on social distancing and for vulnerable people.

What support is available to me as a musician?

There is a lot of advice and tips out there to guide and support you, including information hubs and email newsletters with regular updates. Some key ones to look at:

If you’re a member of these you can get legal and contract advice as well as negotiation services.

While it is important to stay informed, there are also many things we can do to support and manage our wellbeing during such times. Take a look at the below for some really useful tips:

We‘ve also put together some advice to help guide you on what options and support is available to you. Whether that’s teaching advice, performers support or travelling information. Find out more here

Performing/Teaching is my career, what can I do financially?

We know that this is a scary time and may have implications on your career.

If you’re starting to struggle financially its worth speaking with organisations who are offering support to musicians, including

There are also some other solutions that might be able to supplement your income in the meantime. Take a look at our latest news for some suggestions.

I am overseas and not able to get back/my travel arrangements have changed – will my instrument still be insured?

We understand that you may be experiencing issues with your travel plans at the moment so our usual worldwide cover limit of 90 days can be relaxed if you have been affected by COVID-19. Please email us at to let us know.

Will I be covered for loss of income or additional costs that I am incurring due to Coronavirus?

We know that is a worrying time for musicians, however under our Music Protect policy, there is no cover for loss of earnings, business interruption or other costs associated with not being able to work or having gigs, performances or teaching cancelled.  Our policies provide cover for specified perils, accidental damage, theft and accidental loss of your insured item, rather than being on an all risks basis which would mean that you would be covered for anything which is not listed as an exclusion.

Share this article: